Lichterfeld (I believe pronounced Lishter-felt) is the community Jody and Erik's house is in. Specifically, they live in Lichterfeld Ost (East). The West side seems similar and is close.
It was another solid, packed day. This time though, we didn't get up until 10:30. It felt good. Jody whipped up some eggs with spätzle for brunch.
After eating Erik and I walked over to the market so he could go to the bank, wireless store to troubleshoot the wireless USB stick, get some things we forgot at the store, and walk through their Saturday farmer's market.
At the wireless store we found that while the local guy didn't know how to solve out problem, the tech support guy he called did. The stick set itself up with the wrong APN code that must be similar to a DNS server. Sorry to get technical there. But he put in the right address and it started working.
The farmer's market was pretty cool. It was like our farmer's markets, but with a few German specific twists. Specialized meats and cheeses and really perfectly formed fruit. As with Alicia in Munich, Erik an I joked that the Germans probably don't allow the fruit to not be perfect. We picked-up some fresh blueberries, strawberries, flowers, and a piece of rhubarb strüssel for Alicia.
When we arrived back at Jody's, everyone was ready to take off for Ikea. We did a few things on the Internet and got everyone ready and left for the longest Ikea odyssey I have ever been on. Granted, I haven't ever had to fill a house from scratch in a foreign country, but I am glad we could help with the kids.
I spent most of the time with the older four in the video area by the kids play land (they were full in the play land). But near the end it became exciting because Ikea doesn't take credit cards except their own, Erik couldn't get one of those because his Visa was only for two years and they won't give you one unless you are a permanent resident, and they had a lot of things with a finite amount of cash. It was closing time and we put it all together in record time so Erik could spend all the cash he had with 30€ left for just-in-case.
We arrived at their house close to 11:00 pm and after unloading down the long driveway (another expression of gratitude for the cart my dad convinced Jody and Erik to bring) and some snacks we all crashed. I was hoping to have some time to plan today so we could use Sunday as a travel day, probably to Prague, but it is hard to think now and it would take hours to plan. I am glad we helped out though. It felt Iike the right thing to do. Tomorrow we'll go to church with Jody and Erik and decide what to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment