Sunday, July 3, 2011

A few days in Potsdam

We've taken a bit of a reprieve from our hectic country wide travels to spend some time with the Hansen clan in their new home. And a lovely home it is. Set behind another large home... it feels like you are in the middle of a forest, lots of lush greenery and birds sounding. The house is quite large.... but different from anything in the U.S. Radiators on the walls of each room and large windows that tilt outward at the top. No window screens here. I guess bugs do what they please around here.

The kitchen is pretty with a white tile floor, blue counter-tops and medium colored oak cabinetry. The fridge is big (as far as European fridges go), but easily half the size of Jody's old one, and that includes the freezer. The entire house is full of wood floors and white walls. While the doors to the rooms have and old fashioned keyhole with a big brass-type key stuck into one side or the other.

We've been quite comfortable for the last two nights on an air mattress in a far end of the house. Pretty quite... except when the kids play in the cavernous and echo-filled basement. But they are so fun to listen to. No furniture or other household comforts, but we've picked up a few things to make day-to-day a bit easier.

Yesterday was the Ikea trip of all Ikea trips. You know how hard it is to understand what something is in Swedish..... now complicate that with everything in German along side of it. Luckily Erik was around to do some translating. The kids were troopers for following us around for hours and hours.... Needless to say. I was "put a fork in me, I'm done" by the end of the day. We closed the store down and still didn't get half of what they needed for their new home.

I've adjusted to the time change quite easily... the first day was soooooooo hard to stay awake. The midnight sun is here... so the night doesn't get pitch black until the wee hours of the morning. The weather is generally rainy and quite cool here, I don't know if that is normal, but it seems to be pretty consistent thus far. All in all, I think I'll need a week long nap when we return home. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Favorite thing so far: The Rhine and all the lovely towns, castles and nearly vertical vineyards.


Worst thing so far: I lost the diamond out of my wedding ring, and I blew up my favorite (expensive) blow dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment