Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day Two - More Berlin

Day Two meant a lot of analysis in the morning.  We slept in a little, but no later than than a nice Saturday/vacation day - 8:00 am.  I think my jet lag went away with yesterday's stay-up strategy.  But as I type this, 11:13 pm, I am falling asleep while I type.

After getting all of the amounts, travel times, and other information for Stockholm and the rest of our trip, Alicia and I set out for some lunch and to discuss the rest of our trip.

We found a great bagel place with some fantastically fresh and delicious ingredients.  Alicia's had chicken, pesto, and fresh veggies.  When I tasted it, I think it was the first time I thought it tasted like I was eating something with fresh basil in it, instead of a quagmire of olive oil and basil devoid of flavor.



I chose a slice of Quiche Lorraine with fresh spinach, tomato, and I swear there was a splash of lemon in the very thin and light crust.  It was amazing.  I pride myself on making quiche with super light and tender egg filling, but this quiche took super light and tender to a whole new level.




During our walk toward lunch and lunch itself we talked about our plans.  The long story short is that we won't be going to Stockholm now.  The cost is an extra $900, or $450 each, not counting hotel costs.  Both Alicia and I believe we can get airfare into that range on a deal and would rather go to Stockholm with my dad who speaks the language, knows the country and therefore help us have a better experience.

We will spend the remaining 14 days of our time in Europe in Germany and Prague.  Since Jody and Erik's hotel is in the middle of Berlin, we are thinking of staying here longer to explore Berlin, then go to Prague and use the remaining time to go through many of Germany's other cities.  We will talk to Jody and Erik tomorrow and make sure that will work for them and then check events in Berlin.


One of the events happening soon is the premiere for Transformers 3 in what they call the Sony Center, just a short walk from the hotel.  When we were cutting through the center to get to someplace to eat, we saw this sculpture.  I was pretty sure either transformers were really taking over the world, or some kind of event was going to happen (Sony Pictures made Transformers 3).

As we went further in we saw workers busy putting together a walkway for star to travel as they go to the premiere.  When we came back this evening, it was closer to being ready, but from what we have learned, the premiere will be on Saturday.  The main characters will be there, including... wait for it... Patrick Dempsy.  Yes, Alicia's favorite actor will be there.  I am certainly glad we don't have one of those "free pass" lists.  I think I would be in trouble.  Who could resist Alicia?


After lunch we found a great dessert option.  Our kids and Alicia have loved Ritter Sport chocolate bars. We found a Ritter Sport shop that is similar to M&M World in Las Vegas.  It is really cool.  There, you can get a crazy amount of different Ritter Sport bars in sizes from very small bites to very large bars, including the option to make your own bar.  You start with white or milk chocolate, then add in whatever add-ins they have.  The result is a one-of-a-kind ritter sport bar just for you.  They have some gummy things, so you could create a gummy Ritter Sport bar, which, to my knowledge, doesn't exist at any store.  I think we are coming back here.  One of our targets is a custom square carrier that has ice packs on two sides to keep your Ritter bars cool.  Me?  I haven't really like Ritter Sport bars, they always seemed to be rather average to me.  I think the problem was that I wasn't getting bars that were fresh enough.  The mini bars I ate were crazy good.






Although our intent was to figure things out, get lunch and come back, the while searching for lunch, wander lust took us over.  During our journeys, we stumbled upon what seemed like an outdoor Catholic mass with a high-ranking church official.  They had a procession, a fantastic choir and orchestra, and beautiful backdrop.  I have pictures and some video, but I'll just put the video here.



We found the holocaust memorial and while the museum is below ground, the above ground was enough to captivate us.  The pictures and video probably won't convey a portion of the impression this place made upon us.  I bet you can guess the size of the rectangles.




While heading toward the Brandenburg Gate, we found the parliament building and a relay race in the large city park.  We found a great bratwurst stand there and had what I think is the best bratwurst I have ever had.  Even Alicia, not a huge bratwurst fan, said if they tasted like this at home we would have them regularly.  I agreed, they didn't taste greasy, heavy, or a heavy garlic taste.  I didn't need anything but the bun and a type of spicy mustard that didn't take my breath away with horseradish taste.  Another great balance.



The last flavor of the day was at a gelato shop, Caffe e Gelato.  They had amazing flavors, but we decided to try just one to see how good they were.  It was my choice, so I went with apricot (in German, aprikose).  As with the other things I have eaten here, it was fantastic.  It not only had the sweet elements of apricots, but also the slightly bitter.  The result was like eating creamy apricots on a cone.  I think I will get one of those every day that I am in Berlin.  But then I'll have to get another one so I can try other flavors too, plus the cone(s) Alicia wants to eat.  I'm glad this is one of the cheaper things.  In fact it may be cheaper than I can get it for in Salt Lake.


Another great day of experiences and a new course charted.  Tomorrow we'll figure out the order of days, talk with Jody and Erik and see what else we can discover.  I am having an absolutely amazing time.  I think Alicia is too, but you will have to hear from her to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment